Contributed by Marcia Selden Catering in Stamford, CT
Fish tacos are one of our favorites meals in the summertime. These super healthy, low calorie tacos are wrapped in a crisp lettuce leaf and go perfectly with an ice cold beer! Easy to make and perfect for 2 or 20, try these delicious wraps for your next lunch or dinner.
This taco recipe is super healthy and low in calories. It's easy to prepare everything except the fish in advance, leaving you free to enjoy dinner with your family and guests.
This recipe is dairy.
- 2 C. chopped white onion
- 3/4 C. chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 1/4 C. olive oil
- 5 Tbs. fresh lime juice, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely diced (optional)
- 1 lb. tilapia or striped bass
- Coarse kosher salt
- 1 C. Greek yogurt
- 1/2 head of shredded cabbage
- 1 head Romaine or Bibb Lettuce
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, sliced
- Lime wedges
- Mix onion, cilantro, olive oil, lime juice, garlic, oregano and jalapeno in medium bowl.
- Sprinkle fish with coarse salt and pepper.
- Spread half of onion mixture over bottom of 11x7x2-inch glass baking dish.
- Arrange fish over the onion mixture. Cover and chill 30 minutes. Turn fish; cover and chill an additional 30 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, combine remaining onion mixture with Greek yogurt and shredded cabbage. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Brush grill with oil and heat to medium-high heat. Brush the fish with additional marinade and grill until opaque in center; 3 to 5 minutes per side.
- Coarsely chop fish with a fork and wrap in a lettuce leaf. Serve with avocado slices, cabbage slaw and a lime wedge. Yum!