Marcia Selden Catering
Gorgeous weather has arrived, the days are longer and it’s time to plan an outdoor party. Here’s the perfect, light and flavorful hors d’oeuvre. The best part about this delicious nibble is that it doesn’t require an oven and can be made in advance so all you have to do is grab a Sake-tini, turn up the music and enjoy your friends.
Ingredient note: Nori is the Japanese name for various types of edible seaweed. Crisp, paper thin sheets of nori are sold in packages at Whole Foods Market or on line from Sushi Maven.
- 8-10 nori sheets
- 3 C. finely shredded savoy cabbage
- 3 scallions thinly sliced
- 3½ oz. cooked soba or cellophane noodles
- ½ C julienned carrot sticks
- ½ C. chopped cilantro
- 1 mango, peeled and julienned
- 2 tbs. toasted sesame oil
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 1 tbs. minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 1 English cucumber, peeled and julienned
- 24 mint leaves
- 24 basil leaves
- ½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼C. fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbs. sugar
- 1 tsp. toasted sesame oil
- 4 Tbs. soy sauce
- Combine dipping sauce in a bowl, cover and refrigerate until ready to use. Can be made 1 day in advance.
- Toss cabbage, scallions, shredded carrots, cilantro, mango and cooked noodles in a bowl with sesame oil, shallot, ginger and garlic and set aside until ready to use.
- Working with 1 sheet at a time, put cabbage noodle mixture along 1 edge of the nori, leaving a 1” border.
- Add a small amount of cucumber, 2 mint leaves and 2 basil leaves to cabbage mixture. Do not overfill the nori sheets.
- Starting at the side with the filling, start to roll, enclosing filling.
- Repeat process with remaining sheets. Cut each roll on the diagonal into 2 pieces and serve with dipping sauce.
- Can be prepared 2 hours in advance.
- ½ cup each of excellent quality Vodka & Saki
- 1”piece of ginger
- 1/2 cucumber, washed and sliced into spears
- Muttle 1" piece of ginger into the vodka/saki blend and then remove.
- Add to shaker filled with ice. Shake well.
- Pour into Martini glass and garnish with cucumber sticks