Recipe: Marcia Selden Catering
If you have picky eaters at home, you know how difficult it can be to get them to eat salmon. But it’s worth your effort because salmon is bursting with omega-3 heart healthy fats as well as vitamin D. These salmon cakes are crispy, light and make a perfect appetizer if made into a smaller size.
This heart healthy recipe is parve (non-dairy)
- 2 ½ lbs. skinless salmon filet
- ½ red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbs. paprika
- 1 egg
- 2 C. panko
- Kosher salt and pepper
- ¼ C. flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1/3 C. olive oil
- In a medium skillet, heat 1 Tbs. of olive oil on medium-low. Add garlic, onion, bell peppers, 1/2 Tbs. of salt and 1/4 tsp. of pepper, cook until softened, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add flat leaf parsley, remove from heat. Transfer mixture into a medium-large bowl. Set aside to completely cool by leaving 10 minutes at room temperature, then transfer to refrigerator for 15-20 minutes.
- While vegetable mixture is cooling, finely cube salmon.
- Once vegetables have fully cooled, add raw salmon, eggs, paprika, 1 C. panko. Make sure everything is well combined. Make patties by shaping salmon mixture into ¾ to 1” thick cakes.
- Pour another 2 C. of panko into a shallow dish.
- In a medium skillet, heat oil on medium-low. Dredge salmon patties in panko, coating both sides, then place into skillet.
- Cook 1-2 minutes per side or until golden brown. Immediately remove from heat and place onto a paper towel to drain.
- Serve with a side of greens, as a burger, or on its own.